Hyperconvergence is the latest data center trend. But how to pick the right partner for your hyperconverged infrastructure?
Hyperconvergence combines data storage, computational power and a network into a single platform hosted on x86 servers… While a a regular environment has one system for each function, hyperconverged infrastructures work within one fully integrated solution coming from one provider. It makes pick the said provider even more important.
Do your homework
To pick the right provider, you must assess your needs. Create a mockup of your environment and get a clear answer to the following questions:
- What computational power do you need (CPU and memory for virtual machines)?
- What data storage capacities do you need?
- How many data backups do you need to be actively available?
- What type of supervisors are already available (Esxi, Hyper-V, KVN, XenServer, etc.)?
Based on these answers, an expert will determine the hardware specifications for each knot of your HCI cluster.
Ask the right questions
There are numerous HCI providers. Ask them the following questions to ensure your needs and expectations will be met.
- Does the provider adapt to the size of your business? Does it have a clear vision of the specific needs of small, medium and large enterprises?
- What’s the provider’s experience when it comes to HCI? The market is booming, and numerous new actors are coming. To pick your HCI is to invest in the future. Choose a partner that’s committed to the long-term and that can give you references.
- What other services can the provider offer? Think: consulting, deployment, trainings, supports…
- How easy is the setup and management of the HCI? You want to make things simpler for your business. Check how difficult it would be to add existing knots or simply modify existing ones.
- Is it an evolutive solution? An HCI can grow with your business. Ask your provider to lay out for you the options if you want more computation power or storage capacity.
- How robust is the HCI as an on-site solution, but when it comes to configuring multisite/stretch clusters as well?
- How safe is the HCI solution your provider offers? Keep in mind how data are secured and what technology is put in place for duplicates. Is there an automatic failover in case of faulty knot?
Picking a hyperconverged infrastructure is the future. Go with the right partner!